Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Monaco, still beautiful in the rain

Phrase of the day:
Is that a yard on top of the roof?! Est-ce qu'il y'a une jardin sur le toit?!

As I was riding my bike around the housing complex a couple of weeks ago with Clement the youngest child, a car full of young adults my age kept driving by. Curious as always, Clement went up to the car and asked who they were. One of them told him that his name was Anthony and he lived next door to Clement. They asked if I was Clements sister and he laughed and told them I was the au pair. I then introduced myself and they asked me to go to the beach with them the next day. That night my host family told me that they were going on vacation for a week and taking the kids along with them, lucky me! I went to the beach with Anthony and his friends the next day. I now had a great group of local kids my age who couldn't wait to show me around!

On one of my lucky tour days by my new best friends, they called me up in the morning and told me they were taking me to Monaco to go to the beach. Monaco?! Uh you mean the place where all the fabulous rich people live and musicians make their music videos on yachts. Yeah, Monaco.

I hopped into Anthony's car and was moving around in my seat for the hour drive the entire time. Astonished by the view on the whole ride there, I was practically half way out the window with my video camera capturing everything I could. It's funny to me how the locals are so used to this magnificent lifestyle that they hardly even look out the window. There I am with 1 hour of video footage before we even get there! Ha!

We find parking in Monaco and it starts to rain. Monaco is still beautiful and breathtaking. I kind of feel like a movie star just walking around here. As we get out of the parking I spotted lots of yellow signs saying "Tour de France Armstrong". As we got closer I realized people were gathered as sponcers were preparing for the Tour de France which would start in a few days. Because it was raining we did not get to go to the beach! Instead we climbed steps and walked through an art garden which ended up having a spectacular view of Monaco's boat ports and luxury condos.

The day went by quickly and I had a great time with my friends. I will be skyping them when I return back to America!



2 comments:

  1. Hi, i was just wondering since i can see you are in monaco, if you are gonna stay there over 2010?:) are you enjoying it? Im moving there in january, (monte carlo) would be nice to be in thouch with someone whos actually there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Sorry for the late response. I was only in the south of france over the summer of 2009. In August of this year I am moving to Italy. While I was in france I enjoyed it!! I'm jealous that you are moving to Monaco, definitely a wonderful city, you will enjoy it. It would have been nice to know someone, it's too bad I won't be there!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete