Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Musée Picasso - Antibes

Phrase of the day:
No more pictures! Arret avec les photos!

Oui! Another day off! J'aime ca beaucoup! Today I decided to go to the lovely town of Antibes in the South of France. I've gotten accustomed to the daily travel routine pretty nicely by now. The town that I've been living in, Roquefort les Pins, has a bus to Nice for 1 euro where I then catch the train for 6 euro and get off in Antibes. One of the great things I've also found really helpful along the way was good old trusty Google maps. So before each trip I place the little man onto the map and I skim the town so I know where I am when I get there. Tres bien!
Stepping off the train into Antibes you'll find yourself staring at the turquoise blue ocean and tons of huge luxury boats. The town is booming with people and there are tons of tiny winding side streets with many shops and cafes.

I mainly came to visit Antibes because the Picasso Museum is located here! But before I got to that I toured the many streets and found a great petite outdoor food market. I learned the meaning of great fresh cheese and olives when I came to France. This market was called Marche Provincal, open Tuesday through Sunday in the morning through the months of June to August. Ok, I was going gaga over all of the food but I kept my eye on the prize.... Picasso!

About half a block after the market I made a left onto a small street and found myself stepping out to a windy road right on the edge of the ocean b-e-a-u!! As I looked to my right the museum was right there behind me! It is a beautiful stone building called Chateau Grimaldi where after discovering it, Picasso lived for a good period of his life. He set up painting and drawing studios inside so he could live and work right in the same space.

Let me also just say that the day I got for this excursion was fabulous and the location of the museum was just breathtaking. I've included pictures because it's just too hard to describe!

I paid my 5 euro for entering the museum and found myself diving straight into Picasso's early pencil and charcoal drawings and then finding sculptures that I had never seen. Truly epic. Wow. I ventured outside where they had a deck with amazing sculptures made out of bronze by other artists similar to Picasso. There I was snapping away pictures (with out the flash of course) when I got stopped and was told to put the camera away, darn!!!

My fabulous day!! :

Marché Provincal










Chateau de Grimaldi; Musée Picasso






























And sadly that is where my fun ends with the pictures! Haha!
A demain mes amies!

No comments:

Post a Comment